Love Food Hate Waste... you can save money and the planet
Research by the NSW Government has shown that most households buy too much food, cook too much food, and throw away leftovers.
In NSW alone, we collectively throw away $2.5 billion worth of edible food a year – such an incredible waste! With the right information, minimising your food waste can be easy. Here are some simple tips you can follow:
- Know how much food to cook for each person.
- Store your food appropriately to keep it fresher for longer.
- Think of tasty ways to use your leftovers.
- Work out a weekly meal plan for your household.
- Make a shopping list and stick to it.
- Work out a divide-and-share system with a friend or neighbour if you’re buying perishable items in bulk.
If you have non-perishable food items that you no longer need such as tins, rice or pasta, you may be able to donate them to a local charity. Ring first to check whether they take food donations, and if so, which items are acceptable.
For more information on how to reduce your food waste, visit the North East Waste website. You’ll find handy hints on buying and storing food, a portion calculator, great recipe ideas and surprising food facts. You can also take the Love Food Challenge.